The California Association for Microenterprise Opportunity(CAMEO) and Intuit Tax and Financial Center invite you to a policy briefing on the new era workforce of self-employed business owners.
The nascent on-demand economy is growing with hundreds of new platforms that have inspired new thinking and practices. Attention is being paid to how these companies are disrupting commerce, solving logistic problems, and creating a new sector of the labor force—and a new era of entrepreneurs. Over 1/3 of the workforce participates in the new era workforce, i.e. they do some kind of independent work and are self-employed.
Our new era workforce of self-employed business owners is operating under institutions that are 50 years old. And that includes the tax system.
Agenda:Landscape of The New Era Workforce: Who is working in the gig economy?
Tax Policy for the New Era (panel discussion with audience questions)
-What might a tax policy look like for this new era workforce
-Legislative and tax reform ideas to encourage local entrepreneurship, to support success for all entrepreneurs and promote financial security and independence
- Melissa Netram, Intuit, Director of Corporate Affairs (moderator)
- Mohammad Ali, Director of Policy and Government Affairs, Small Business Majority
- Caroline Bruckner, Managing Director Kogod Tax Policy Center
- Kevin Kuhlman, Director of Government Relations, National Federation for Independent Business
- Rob Yavor, House Small Business Committee – response to panel and HR 3717 (invited)
Other System Changes for a successful New Era Workforce
Discussion / Q&A